- B Tech: Biomedical Engineering
About the Biomedical Department
The Department of Biomedical Engineering was started in the year 2020 in Ramapuram campus. Biomedical Engineering involves the study and application of engineering processes for diagnosis and therapy. It is a rapidly changing interdisciplinary domain, in which each branch of engineering interacts with several other disciplines to yield a fundamental understanding of health maintenance processes and improved diagnosis, optimal interventional (surgical, therapeutic & rehabilitative) procedures, prosthesis and organ assist systems, health care systems performance, and econometrics. It constitutes human beings’ earliest efforts to understand the living world in terms of basic sciences and to comprehend body mechanisms in terms of their technological creations.
Biomedical Engineering is the amalgamation of engineering principles and medical procedures in order to create solutions for healthcare. This essentially involves collaborating with Medical practitioners and researchers in the domain, to develop medical equipments and devices as well as computer systems and software solutions related to the field. The department faculty members are expertise in areas such as Biosignal and medical image processing, Rehabilitation Engineering, Biomedical instrumentation, and so on.
This course offers:
- Multidisciplinary education for holistic development.
- State of the art practical laboratories and equipment.
- Boost the employability skills and better the employment opportunities.
- Gain intermediate to masters.
- Simultaneously achieve university credits and Professional qualifications.
- International level foreign language studies.
Importance of Biomedical Engineering Course to the Society
- Prosthetics (e.g. Dentures, artificial limb replacements)
- Surgical devices and systems (e.g. Laser surgery, robotics)
- Monitoring systems (checking devices for blood glucose, heart rate etc.)
- Therapeutic devices (insulin pumps, kidney dialysis, electrical nerve stimulation, sophisticated inhalers)
- Artificial organs – valves, pacemakers
- Imaging methods – Ultrasound, X-ray, particle beams, MRI
- Diagnostic systems like lab-on-a-chip
- Physical therapy devices like exercise equipment and wearable tech gears.
- Healthcare apps (for smartphones) for personalized medicine
|Model Demonstration, video presentations|
|Hospital visits to enhance understanding of anatomy and physiology of the human body|
|Test of the analog/digital circuits using National Instrument's Multisim software|
|Study of surgical/therapeutic and first aid procedures through medical simulation|
|Live demonstration of portable handheld equipment in the classroom|
Our Sister Medical Institutions
- Trichy SRM Medical College Hospital & Research Center
- SRM Multi Specialty Hospital (Ramapuram)
Core area in Biomedical Engineering
- Pathology & Microbiology
- Biomedical Sensors & Biomechanics
- Biomedical Signals and Systems
- Artificial organs & Tissue Engineering
- Virtual Instrumentation for Biomedical Engineers
- Biomaterials and Tissue interaction
- Medical Instrumentation
- Biomedical Signal Processing
- Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms
- Artificial Intelligence in Health care
- Medical Image Processing
- Biomedical Equipment’s for clinical applications
- Neuro Rehabilitation and Human-machine interface
- Machine learning and Deep learning techniques in medicine
- Biophotonics and Bioimaging
- Computational tools in Bioengineering and Biomedicine