SRM INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Department of Civil Engineering
REPORT ON VISIT TO POONDI RESERVOIR
Venue: Poondi Reservoir & Institute of Hydrology and Hydraulics
Date: 6th May, 2022
Year: II year Civil Students (IV Sem)
A visit to Poondi reservoir also known as Sathyamoorthy sagar was made by students and faculties of SRM Institute of Science & Technology Ramapuram, department of civil engineering on 6th May 2022. It is about 60 km from Chennai. It is located at Thiruvallur district, Tamil Nadu. It is one of the feeding sources of water to Chennai city. It is a huge reservoir with an area of about 121 square miles.
The main purpose of the reservoir as told by an Assistant Engineer is for flood control, irrigation purpose and to produce electricity. The base of the dam is cemented with barriers at the footings. These barriers are made to reduce soil erosion and velocity of water when it falls from flood gates. He also explained about river sluice, canal sluice, flood gates, aqueduct, syphon aqueduct and super passage. He explained the working principle of the dam by illustrating the models. In this visit an analysis of proto type of a periyar dam which was built about 100 yrs before explained. Now, it is of no use as the river is dry and Tamil Nadu, today, has no access over it. It is a lot easy to learn when the students can see a model and so, this visit gave them brief idea about a dam and its importance.
Some important points which is explained during this visit are:-
- A rain gauge (non-recording type) also known as sypson’s rain gauge which was installed to measure the rainfall intensity.
- Near canals, diversion channels are there, in case when flooding occurs.
- Canal head regulators are made so as to control the flow of canal.
- A syphon aqueduct which is nothing but an underwater passage.
- Energy dissipaters are constructed along the downstream of river or dam.
- These energy dissipaters slow down the flow of water.
- V-notch is used to measure the discharge of water along the canals.
- A dam can be used for many purposes such as :-
- Energy dissipaters are made along downstream of dam to make a flow uniform.
Presenting mementos to Assistant Engineer and Field Instructor, PWD
- Overall trip was very interesting and the student gained a lot of knowledge
- Dams are vast structures and can be used for many purposes.