INTRODUCTION TO ETHICAL HACKING AND CYBER SECURITY BY CHIPSET
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering, SRM Institute of Science and Technology, conducted a 2-Day Online Summer-Camp on Introduction to Ethical Hacking & Cyber security on June 8th & June 9th 2020.
Name of the Event: Introduction to Ethical Hacking and Cyber Security
Date: 8th June, 2020 | Time: 10:00am to 12:00pm.
Topics: Information Gathering and SQL Injection
The session began with a welcome address to the participants and a presentation showcasing the various laurels of the CSE Department of SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Ramapuram.
Participants were also inspired and motivated by a warm welcome speech by Dr.N. Kannan HOD/CSE.
Session 1: Information Gathering
Speaker: Anmol Chaudhary
2nd Year CSE
- The session started with an introduction to INFORMATION GATHERING.
- How to ping a website using cmd was demonstrated to the participants.
- The usage of Cupp tool on Kali Linux was shown.
- Few websites where one can gather information about the target website were also talked about.
Session-2: SQL Injection
Speaker: Ananya Iyer
2nd year CSE
- The session began with the introduction to the topic and explaining what the term meant. Moving on to talking about a case study that smoothly illustrated the topic.
- A few basic terms were explained for the participants to follow the second half of the session. An SQL query demonstration was given. The system was converted into a local server and a password was retrieved.
- As a part of practical demonstration, a website was hacked live in front of the participants and that, marked the end of the session.
Date: 9th June, 2020 | Time: 09:00am to 11:00am.
Topics: Cryptography and Windows Escalation
The second-day session began with a small recap of the previous day sessions and what lay ahead.
Session 1: – Cryptography
Speaker: – Sheetal Prasad
2nd year CSE
Section – IOT
- Questions like ‘What is Cryptography?’‘Why do we need it?’ were taken up followed by the explanation of cryptography with example.
- Case study about WannaCry Ransomware attack which took place on windows enabled Devices in 2017 was elaborately spoken about with the participants.
- Detail about cryptography and the two different types, symmetric and asymmetric key cryptography with examples.
- Explanation about WhatsApp Encryption is.
- Practical session on how steganography can be done in an image.
Session 2: – Windows Escalation
Speaker: Shubham Giri
2nd Year CSE
- Answered the question – ‘What is Windows Exploit?’
- The way a company or an organization gets vulnerable and attacksget access to the system was shown.
- The participants were shown how to dump Windows Password and to decrypt the password inside of a PC using PwDump7 software.
- As a part of demonstration, the Windows Password was hacked using CMD, and then by net user command the password was changed.
- Bypassing windows password, using run command the lusrmgr.msc was used. Command entering into System through BIOS with using of some external device USB or cd was executed.
Bonus Session: System Access through a virus
Speaker: Badal Kumar
3rd Year CSE
The session can be summarised through the following steps –
- Creation Of the virus.
- Ejection of it on the system.
- Getting access of system with administrative privileges.
- Introduction to bad USB and its use in the session.
Faculty co-ordinators: – Mr. S.P. Maniraj & M. Gowtham Sethupathi
- Badal Kumar – Event Host
- Mr. S.P. Maniraj – Welcome speech
- Badal Kumar & Anmol Chaudhary – Registration, doubt clarification in chat messages & Technical support.
- Session Handlers: Anmol Chaudhary, Ananya Iyer, Sheetal Prasad, Shubham Giri, Badal Kumar
- Vote of Thanks – M. Gowtham Sethupathi
Prepared by: Ananya Iyer& Sheetal Prasad
Mr. S. P. Maniraj A.P. (S.G.)
Mr. Gowtham A.P. (S.G.)
(Co – Mentor)